Friday, December 2, 2011

No sound from my right

Last night I was doing what I do a lot these days, awesome pushups, when I realized that every sound seemed like it was being funneled through a barrel at me. Two hours later I couldn't hear a thing out of my right ear.

This morning I saw an emergency room doc, then an ear, nose and throat doc and finally an audiologist and they all agreed that I had idiopathic hearing loss. Apparently "idiopathic" is science-talk for "we don't know why".

They prescribed me a fat dose prednisone to take everyday for many days with the hope that at the end of the treatment I will have recovered some, if not all, of my hearing. Judging by the audiologist's welled-up eyes when she gave me her diagnosis, my chances of regaining my hearing aren't super good.

Okay then.

Here's my plan: I'm going to document my days as a new, hearing impaired person and see if it helps me deal with it. I'm the sobby sobber type, so don't expect me to be coming to terms with a ton, but at the very least I'll complain about something that pisses me off, something I find ridiculous or something or someone I find funny.


Let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment